Thursday 24 November 2011

Dresden to Berlin

OK so I think I left you all (both of you ;) arriving in Dresden and meeting my friend Anna. Anna is another cat walker from Bolivia's Inti Wara Yassi (http://www.intiwarayassi.org/articles/volunteer_animal_refuge/home.html) and I was to be staying with her and her flat mate in Neustadt Dresden, an up and coming area with lots of students and some great graffiti! Living with Anna was fun, she had a really nice apartment and some fun friends downstairs. We cooked most nights, watched movies and drank wine till late. Life was a chilled :)

On the weekend we went with a friend Gregor to the Sächsische Schweiz, a hilly climbing area and national park. Autumn had just arrived and the colours were nothing short of breath taking!
Photobucket
We walked around all day, had a picnic on the edge of a cliff and took many photos of the utter beauty that surrounded us!

We were all quite exhausted on the train hope, although there was some entertainment in the way of a cute baby playing in his pram. He had the whole carriage captivated for the whole journey while he laughed and played with his toys...Broody....me....nah!......

Dresden is a great town. Pretty much everyone cycles and Anna managed to get me a friedns spare bike to get around on, I really miss cycling! The next night Anna and I cycled to a house party. House parties are a bit different to that in London. If you're a stranger everyone will come up to you and introduce themselves, so polite! Of course I forgot every new name almost immediately but it was such a nice sentiment.

After a week in Dresden it was time to venture to Berlin. Anna's mum lives in Potsdam a city 15 miles southwest of Berlin. In Germany car sharing is very popular and almost the only way students can move around the country affordably. We met Manuel in a McDonalds car park. He drove a four door green Nissan yogurt (or something like that, it was quite forgettable) Obviously I wasn't expecting something exotic or rare, but the child inside still hopes ;)

Manuel managed to ignore all of these signs
Photobucket
Pretty much the best road sign that exists ever! He kept to around 120kph the whole way. I know it doesn't matter, but in my head our car share would be some maniac with a BMW M5 estate and blast us to Berlin in around four minutes. What was important was that the Nissan and Manuel got us to Berlin in around €10, which was nice :D Oh and we passed what seemed like a million wind farms on the way to Berlin. Germany gets 9% of it's power from these things, that's quite a bit!

Anyhoo, Feeling tired now and I've got to grab a shower so it's goodbye for now and I'll update again soon. Till then it's a goodnight from Barcelona xx

No comments:

Post a Comment