Wednesday 16 November 2011

Switzerland to Dresden

After saying my goodbyes I hopped onto my the first of three trains that would take me from St Gallen to Dresden. Soon after arriving in Munich I noticed the first of what seemed like an endless train of new German cars, mainly Audis, must have been around 400 of them! It was quite a sight.

The next train I got would split up half way through the journey, and by that I don't mean that the very carriages would tear open and we would all be smashed on the rails underneath us. No, I mean that the first carriage would go to dresden and the rest of the train (that I was happily sitting in) would go to one of the other German towns that exist in Germany. As you may have noticed I didn't know this until a non English speaking train conductor told me. I understood though and at the next station I went to the front carriage....It was rammed! So I sat on the floor in a door stairwell opposite a young couple who were eating a massive bar of bright pink chocolate! What after effects that bar would have I can only imagine!

At the next station the polizei came on to the train, routine checks I'm sure....I put on my most German of faces (whatever that might look like is anyones guess) But to the polizei must have shouted ID check me please I've most likely got at least four Eastern European children in my bags for the highest bidder. And I turn into a gibbering tit almost immediately! Not only does my basic German manage to escape my noggin, but somehow I'd left the door open for just long enough for my English to escape also. All I managed was some sort of exhaling with a slight girly murmur...(note to self, I'd make a terrible spy) The woman polizei notices my...ahem...slight internal panic, I produce my passport and she says to me in English not to worry, it's just a routine check. Anyway they made radio call to quantify the level of patheticness in front of them and after some confirmation carried on down the carriage with a smile, I'm sure they even wished me 'Good luck' O remember that scene from The Great Escape, 'Good luck', 'Thank you'..Gilp, don't slip up now..Oh wait I'm not a spy, nothing to worry about....'Danke' I replied (just in case) They didn't even give a moments notice to the utter crazy at sat two seats away from me, not worth the hassle I guess...I swear he was chewing on a dolls head at one point though!

The train jerked wildly into yet another station, this one was called 'Hof' which made me smile and then my learn Spanish kicked in randomly on my iPod, that made me smile even more. Two hours to go and I might as well try to take in some Spanish. I swear the lady on the recording is half Spanish half cat! She is rolling her R's like I've only heard a feline purrrrrrrrrr.

Passing some beautiful little villages that time had quite clearly forgotten about. So beautiful it almost made me forget about the bumpy train journey. To best describe I would say the train felt like it was being driven by a teenager late for his first kiss!

And eventually I arrived in Dresden to be met by my friend Anna...Tbc

No comments:

Post a Comment